Episode 37: Mom & Entrepreneur Amanda Bentow
Jan 14, 2021
EP37_FLSJ: Homeschooling Without Overthinking the Process with Amanda Bentow
On this episode of the Fast Lane with Sara Jayne podcast, Sara Jayne talks to Amanda Bentow about homeschooling, how to approach online marketing, building a personal brand, how distance learning differs from homeschooling, and the benefits of homeschooling.
- Sara Jayne introduces her guest Amanda Bentow.
- Amanda's background is in network marketing and business.
- Amanda discusses Bible readings in the morning with her kids before starting the homeschooling education process with them.
- What kinds of field trips has she gone on with her children?
- She has been following the curriculum for math and language arts.
- How does distance learning differ from homeschooling?
- What is the best part of homeschooling?
- What does Amanda say to the myth that homeschool kids and moms are "weird?"
- How has her pet cat's behavior changed with her kids at home more?
- How has homeschooling impacted her marriage?
- Amanda's husband cooks meals so that she can keep plowing through with teaching their kids.
- Unstructured play helps children develop their prefrontal cortex.
3 Key Points:
- Your personal brand can be tricky to separate from your personal life because it reflects who you are.
- Being the sole teacher one-on-one with your child allows you to know exactly what they are understanding and what they are struggling with without having to always test them like traditional school.
- Homeschooling provides educational flexibility, getting to know your kids better, and being aware of what you want them to learn and what they want to learn.