Episode 33: Bringing Teddy Roosevelt to Life with Joe Wiegand
Dec 10, 2020
On this episode of the Fast Lane with Sara Jayne podcast, Sara Jayne talks to Joe Wiegand from Medora, North Dakota who plays the former United States president Theodore Roosevelt. Joe Wiegand talks about his life in comedy and politics, his transition to playing Roosevelt, and the beauty of being in Medora, North Dakota.
- Sara Jayne shares personal memories of spending time in Medora, North Dakota.
- What is it about Medora that fascinated Theodore Roosevelt?
- Joe Wiegand performs as the older version of Theodore Roosevelt.
- Joe’s father was a stand-up comedian for 45 years.
- Joe has been married for 33 years to his wife Jenny Cook Wiegand.
- What is some of the comedic material that Joe Wiegand has performed?
- How did he transition into playing Theodore Roosevelt?
- How has COVID-19 affected his performances?
- What are some of the outdoor opportunities in Medora?
- What is Joe Wiegand’s favorite Theodore Roosevelt stories to tell?
- It has been said that Theodore Roosevelt wasn’t afraid to die?
- Why did his sister give him a book about Theodore Roosevelt in the first place?
- Joe’s wife Jenny Cook Wiegand has played professional golf and is a yoga instructor.
3 Key Points:
- Theodore Roosevelt first went to Medora, North Dakota in 1883 to the Badlands to hunt bison and invested in cattle.
- Joe Wiegand previously worked 25 years in politics and public policy as a campaign manager, a political professional, a public opinion pollster, a fundraiser, and a local officeholder.
- The construction on the Lazy River is happening in 2021.